- Yarn – 2(2, 3) balls of Filatura Di Crosa Zara (DK)
- Size 5 16” circular knitting needles
- Size 3 16” circular knitting needles
- Cable needle
- Small: 17.5”/45cm
- Medium: 19.5”/50 cm
- Large: 21.5”/55cm
- All sizes are 12”/30cm high
21 sts/28 rows is 4”/10cm in reverse stockinette stitch
- k: Knit
- p: Purl
- sm: Slip marker
- st(s): stitch(es)
- yo: yarn over
- k2tog: knit 2 sts together
- Front 3/1 Cable: Place 3 sts on cable needle and hold in front, p 1 st from left needle, k 3 sts from cable needle
- Back 1/3 Cable: Place 1 st on cable needle and hold in back, k 3 sts from left needle, p 1 st from cable needle
- Front 3/3 Cable: Place 3 sts on cable needle and hold in front, k 3 sts from left needle, k 3 sts from cable needle
- Back 3/3 Cable: Place 3 sts on cable needle and hold in back, k 3 sts from left needle, k 3 sts from cable needle
Using smaller needle, cast on 96(104, 108) sts. Place marker and join for working in the round. Be careful not to twist stitches.
Modified Rib Row: *[(k3, p4, k6, p4, k3, p2, k3, p4, k6, p4, k3), (p2, k2) 1 (2, 3) times], repeat from * one more time.
Work in Modified Rib for 2”/5cm. Switch to larger needles.
Pattern Row: *[Work Palamar Cable Chart, p6 (10, 12)], repeat from * one more time.
Repeat the Pattern Row until you have worked the chart 2 times.
Work in sts as established for 0.5”/1.5 cm.
Make Holes – k1, yo, k2tog, *[work 7 (8, 8) sts as established, yo, k2tog], repeat from * 10 times, work sts as established to the end.
Work in sts as established for 1”/3 cm. Bind off in pattern.
Using double pointed needles, cast on 3 sts, work in i-cord for 40”/100 cm.
Block hat to desired measurements. Thread the i-cord through the yarn overs in the hat. Pull tight and wear with a smile.